Riderwood ROCKS is a mixed voices (male and female) chorus now forming (summer 2023.) Riderwood ROCKers will sing arrangements of rock music from the 1950s and beyond under the leadership of Encore Creativity for Older Adults. Riderwood ROCKers will rehearse weekly for about 15 weeks and then sing alongside a live rock band for a concert performance each May and December. During the fall season 2023 the one- and a half-hour rehearsals will be held Monday afternoons at 3:00 pm in the Chapel. New seasons will start with new music each January and September.
No vocal or musical experience is required and there are no auditions. All residents who love to sing or who want to LEARN TO SING are warmly invited to join.
Encore Creativity for Older Adults
Inspired by the results of an NEA-funded study that investigated the health benefits of choral singing for older adults, Encore Creativity for Older Adults was founded in 2007. Sixteen years later, Encore Creativity now hosts over 35 chorales nationwide with a community of over 1300 singers. The rehearsals are under the leadership of a fun and accomplished conductor and provide the opportunity to improve your musical skills and knowledge. Choruses are non-auditioned. Encore Creativity choruses are founded on the love and enjoyment of singing.
To Register: When Encore Creativity’s registration link opens (mid-July), go to Encore Creativity and click on the link for Register.
For more information: Contact resident Betty Nordan at
Your Encore Creativity tuition provides:
- 14 to 15 weeks of rehearsals with a fun and accomplished conductor
- 14 to 15 weeks of improving your musical skills and knowledge No previous singing or musical experience is necessary. And NO auditions!
- Your concert with a live Rock band
- All sheet music
- A rehearsal CD highlighting the singer’s voice part
- The opportunity to make up missed rehearsals
- Those unavoidable administrative costs
Opportunities Encore Creativity provides:
- To meet new people and make new friends
- To improve your physical, mental, and emotional health Singing is well documented as contributing toward good health.
- Encore University: Classes through Zoom or on-demand focusing on basic musicianship, music history, music theory, visual arts, and creative physical movement
- To participate in special events such as a one-session class by Zoom
- To sing in the Kennedy Center Concert Hall on December 26
In the Summer:
- To travel (usually in Europe) and participate in concerts with Encore singers from around the US
- To participate in singing camp (for ROCKS, usually several days in Cleveland)